A cretan dakos is essentially a twice-cooked, wholegrain barley rusk that in Crete is a must have staple for any meal. Nutty in flavour and deliciously crunchy these rusks are super healthy and perfect for salads or lightly baked oven dishes. Below is a simple classic, with a 'The Food Philosopher' twist, that is delicious and too easy to make!
Cretan Dakos Salad
- Break one rusk into bite-sized pieces. Our rusks come in packs of 10.
- Chop up some cherry tomatoes and mix them with some capers, dried oregano and some kalamata olives in a large bowl.
- Mix our Kyriako's Small Batch olive oil together with some red wine vinegar and pour it over the contents in the bowl. Throw in the broken rusks and mix together.
- Season with black pepper and, if necessary salt.
- Place on a plate and finish by crumbling some feta cheese on top with extra herbs and olive oil to taste.
- Kali Orexi! (Enjoy!)